Monday, April 4, 2011

Taking Advantage of All Subjects

As a future educator I feel it is important for me to have a plan for how I want to teach my students. I also feel goals are important. One goal I have for myself as a teacher is to integrate all subject areas. I think that too often teachers forget that subject areas can be mixed and used together to form really powerful lessons. One way I plan to do this is to mix subject areas with Physical Education as well as Music. Taking a science lesson and turning it into a game where students can be physically active can really help students. By having students be active they will be able to retain information because it was in a way that is fun and in terms they understand. I also feel that allowing students to be physically active is important especially younger students. Music is a great way for students to retain information as well. Adding a song to a lesson or having students create a song to help them remember information will allow them to remember what they learned as well as fully understand the information; especially if they created the song on their own.

I think that by having these goals and using these new ideas will help me to enjoy my teaching each and everyday as well as allow my students to enjoy the lessons and information I am teaching. Using just a text book or worksheets will only allow students to go far with their learning. I hope to use the mix of subjects to make learning more fun and interesting for my students.

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! Learning should be fun! I think to many kids look at learning as a chore, something that is boring and they don't want to do. However, from my own personal experiences with kids I have learned the more interesting, exciting and hands on the information is the more a child will remember. I know that the kids I work with after school constantly hum things that they have learned in music or were taught to them by music. The preschoolers and kindergarteners that I have the opportunity are always singing! It is because their teachers tend to sing a lot as well. In this age group I think that it is a great way of teaching! They have a jingle they sing while standing in line and little things like that! Music and movement I think will be great tools to incorporate into lessons!

    ReplyDelete