Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Speech Development

Article
This was such an interesting article to me. This is about a family that video and sound recorded their home for the first three years of their child's life. This footage allowed for education researchers to gain information about speech in children. One aspect of speech and speech development I find important is the therm "baby-talk". I think this has become a natural reaction with babies and many adults speak in baby talk to young children. I work in a preschool that has classrooms for infants, toddlers, 2 year old, 3 year old, 4 year olds, as well as preschool program for 5 and 6 year olds. In our preschool we are told during training that baby-talk is not used with any child even infants. We are taught that direct speech is very important for the development of the child and their own speech development. Having this job has changed the way I interact with young infants and toddlers. I now see how important it is to speak to them as I would to an adult, obviously with simpler words. The children understand what I am saying even if their own speech isn't fully developed. I think this is such an important part of speech development for everyone to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment