Monday, March 14, 2011

New Literacies and Social Networking

I have been working on a New Literacies project for my TE class and I have come to find that the internet and technology are a huge part of my literacy. Social literacy, to me, has a lot to do with social networking and the online world. I think that this is such an important topic to discuss with students. One thing that I feel is important about social literacy and social networking is safety. I think that parents or teacher should be introducing students to online networking websites so that the students know from an adult what these are. If a student is introduced to a social network such as facebook by a friend they may not know the dangers or privacy settings they can have.
Having an adult introduce social networks to students helps them to fully understand how to use the program and the benefits of the program on an educational level. The adult can also explain what privacy settings the students can and should use as well as what the dangers are of social networking.

No comments:

Post a Comment