Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Copyright

The Internet is such a huge resource today that it is almost impossible to stay away from it. In many schools the Internet has become the number one resource for student projects and papers. Although this is an amazing tool and is extremely helpful it can also be very challenging, especially when it comes to copyright. There are a lot of students who probably don't understand what the word copyright really means. When I was in high school I thought I knew exactly what copyright meant and how to cite information and sources, but once I got to college I realized there was so much I didn't know and was probably doing wrong when I was younger.
I think it is very important for schools to educate their students on the rules and regulations of copyright and materials that need to be cited. I have recently found the CC website and this is an amazing tool that I wish I would have known about earlier. When students are placed into computer science or any other type of tech. class in high school this subject should be one of the first that is talked about. Having students do a workshop where they go onto the CC website or other similar websites can really help them to understand the laws and policies set out for materials online. This can help keep the student and school out of legal trouble and also help the student in the future when they are creating projects and writing papers for college level classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment