Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Images in the classroom

Photo Attribution
Original Image-Christmas Tree
http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=223106
By Lotus Head

Using images in a classroom can be a very powerful tool. I have seen different photos or drawings up in classrooms that have really caught my eye and made me think about the meaning behind that image and why it was there. In my own classroom I would like to have an environment that is full of images. One specific aspect I would like to bring to my classroom is culture and diversity. I want my students to be well educated in both of these topics and see that no matter where a person comes from or how different they are from you everyone is equal and can work together as a group. By exposing students to different cultures I feel they will be More open to people who are different than them. The type of image I would choose for this would probably be a photo that shows different areas of the world or different people. I have uploaded an example of the type of picture I would use. I would also base the photos on the students in my classroom. I think it would be useful to bring in pictures that represent their own lives and cultures so that they could connect to one another and also see that something of themselves is in the classroom.
The picture above shows a Christmas tree. This would represent a Holiday of one culture or family. If students in the classroom celebrated different holidays than Christmas I would put up different images for those holidays.




No comments:

Post a Comment